Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world…

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

When I Die I'll Rot. But When I Live, I'll Give It All I've Got!

So yesterday I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill. It was horrible. I ran at a 10:54 pace except for during "Age of Adz" where I ran at a 10:31 pace. Amazing what great music can do:) Thus the title of this blog post. It should be noted that I considered get these lyrics permanently engraved on my body.Anyway, my right foot fell asleep again. Damn treadmills! I wanted to do strengthening, but felt like an idiot trying to use the equipment so I hopped on an elliptical for about 7 minutes and used a super high cross-ramp. I ran into Becky, so I stretched out with her and had a nice talk about boys. Then I walked home cause it was super nice out :)

Today I was so excited to run outside, but when I got done with work it was rainy:( I also didn't feel well so I came home and told myself if i was running a fever I wouldn't go to the gym. I was not running a fever so I headed to the gym. And boy am I glad I did :)

I started with 5 minutes of stretching and a 10 minute ab workout. After this, I did about 15 minutes of lifting. I only used 4 pieces of equipment, but I'm still proud. Then I walked one fourth of a mile and jogged about a fourth of a mile for a warm up. Then I started running to Sufjans song "Too Much." at the end of this song I noticed I had already finished a few laps over a half a mile (a mile is 18 laps.) The song was only a little over 6 minutes long, so I was kind of proud and decided to power through and do an entire mile and time myself. I ran it in 10:23! woohoo!!! (That's really good for me) The plan was to jog a half mile after this, but "Brickhouse" was on, (Thanks for putting it on the Badger Hers mix Rod) so I ran another half a mile! It was the perfect song to keep me going. Then I slowed down and did a few laps of jogging and then a few of walking, followed by a few more jogging and a few more walking. Then I did some more stretching, and walked to my car. It was of course sunny and gorgeous by this point. It was one hell of a workout.

Afterwards I decided it was about time to do some baking. I've been under some serious emotional stress recently, and baking always helps me relax. I decided to do something for St. Patricks day and thought what could I bake with Guinness? So I looked up a chocolate stout cupcake recipe and decided I would just have to add coffee to it, since coffee goes so perfectly with chocolate. They were amazing! Picture on the side.

Tomorrow I plan to head to the running trail over by the school I work at. It is right on the Mississippi and I really want to try it out while I have the time to drive.I have been trying really hard to not eat as much sugar, and use portion control, but somehow in the midst of this all I've gained like 2 pounds. Not to mention the 4 pounds I gained the first six weeks of this year. This is what I get from switching from working out 1-2 days a week to working out an average of 4. Oh well! I'm just gonna blame it on all the muscle I'm gaining.  Notice also I've started a list of songs for my "marathon mix" on the right side under my about me section.

No comments:

Post a Comment