Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world…

Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Own Training Program

So forget being sore from running, I haven't run since Monday and I'm super duper sore. This morning I took a huge fall on the ice and hurt my hip/ass. I was fine all day, but after walking home from Harry Potter with Daryn tonight it suddenly started to hurt and I'm in pain.

The past few days have been so busy that I haven't had time to work out at all. Tuesday evening I helped at an event for the CEHD undergraduate student board. We got together with several alumni to "Make a Connection." It was a great event about 9 alumni showed and about 20 students. I got to meet an older gentleman who worked for the MN department of education for 20 years, so that was quite interesting and I brought home a ton of leftover food. I've been trying to eat as vegetarian as possible, but I brought home chicken, and that is all I have been eating since. Wednesday I had a meeting with the CEHD alumni (I'm the student representative) and then immediately had to head over to west bank to see a play for my "creating identity through arts and performance" (aka bullshit) class. I got home at about 10:30 and passed out. Tonight I met Daryn, a few of his co-workers and my friend Chris for happy hour (best breakfast stout ever!) and then went to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1." I know I could easily have skipped this, but relationships are also a priority in my life, and Daniel Radcliffe just couldn't wait.

Anyway I've been talking to a lot of people about my training and the more I talk to them the more I realize I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I talked the CEHD alumni president about it and she's taken part in 6 marathons and 3 half marathons. When she asked me what training program I was using I replied with "my own" and she gave me a really weird look. So when I got home I began researching and found that most of them were the same, but were all 3 month training programs. So, the plan is to stick to my own right now, until about July or August, depending on which race I take part in. Here's what my plan looks like for March:
Running- 2-3 miles 2-3 days per week.
Cross-Training- 30 minutes elliptical 2-3 times per week
Stretching/Lifting- 20 minutes- 1 day a week
1-2 rest days.
All my days will of course include stretch, warm up, cool downs, and an ab workout.

Well that's all for now. I'll probably up the mileage in April and might switch my cross-training to biking when it gets nice out. I fully plan to do 2-3 miles after work tomorrow, but we will see how sore I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment