Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world…

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Going Vegetarian/ My First Injury

Things are not going well! I turned down Daryn for happy hour on Friday to go to the gym. This was an alright workout, surprisingly. I went out to the bars Friday night and woke up saturday morning feeling great. I had to work Saturday, so I skipped the gym, but did walk the 2 miles home :) it was so sunny out! Saturday night me and Chris went to Spoon Fusion in Apple Valley, and I tasted Mock Duck for the first time and Tofu for the second. I fell in love with the Tofu!

I've been wanting to go Vegetarian for quite some time and decided last week, once I used up all the meat in my house on Sunday, that I was going to try it out. So far I've been very good. I don't eat meat very often anyway, so it hasn't been terribly hard. I know the worst will be giving up burgers. I love them. But veggie burgers are good too :P I also realized I need to branch out what I eat. I plan on trying to do oatmeal for breakfast everyday. I'll class it up by adding some craisins, yogurt, and a bit of brown sugar to it. If i don't have time to make breakfast I'll plan on a granola bar. For morning snack I'm going to have a piece of fruit. (since I wake up so early morning snack is necessary, unless I want to fall asleep in class.) Lunch will consist of salad with low fat dressing of some sort, and some form of snacky food(pita chips, carrots), and some form of protein (cheese, peanut butter, hard boiled egg.) Dinner will be my chance to branch out. I usually eat pasta or pizza. This is okay to do 2-3 nights a week, but I really need to try new things at least once a week. I have a large stock of recipes I've been saving from allrecipes.com, and it's time to start making my way through them. I started tonight. I made Zucchini Herb Casserole. (shown above) I switched the recipe up a little bit, but it was really good and best of all there are leftovers! I had some low fat yogurt for desert and it was delicious :) I'm really bad when it comes to sweets and this is something I really need to work on. Last week I made myself homemade fro-yo a few nights. I used frozen strawberries, low fat yogurt, and chocolate milk and blended them together in my magic bullet. This was delicious!

In other news I injured myself on my run this morning. I ran 2 and half miles and felt fine, but afterwards I walked the 2 miles to go see "Hamlet" for my performing arts class. The walk was fine, but I think sitting in such a small area for 3 hours straight after that much exercise was not what my leg needed. I wanted to walk home, just because it's so nice out, but ended up taking the bus. I think I have shin splints, probably due to either uneven surfaces or just working my body too hard too fast. I would blame it on the new shoes but I wore my old ones today.  I have just been mostly resting since I got home and have already iced it once. I plan to do so at least 2 more times tonight. It feels a bit better already. I'll be taking tomorrow off anyway to go look at a house and meet up with some friends I haven't seen in awhile. I'll probably try to take the rest of the week easy, depending on how I'm feeling. I may just do cross-training all week, or light walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment