Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world…

Saturday, July 30, 2011

On Getting Through the Hard Miles

I had an epiphany the other night as I was trying to fall asleep, and it was something I desperately wanted to blog about, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was. I have some sort of idea, although this seems dumb in comparison to what I thought of in bed, which seemed legendary, but I guess I'll blog about it anyway.

Life is similar to running in so many ways. In running, you reach rough days, and days with miles that are easier to get through. There are miles where you feel fantastic and have fun. These miles fly past you. Then there are the miles where you have to focus on your goals, and the final prize. You have to center your balance and breathing, focusing on each and every step.

In life there are days that go by quickly, un realized and unimportant. Then there are the easy and fun days, the ones that keep you living. And then, of course, there are those hard days. The days that cause you to focus on your balance and breathing.

The thing is that if it wasn't for these rough runs, there would be no improvement to running. They say that with no pain comes no gain. This isn't true. We can gain from days and runs with no pain, but those days would seem so meaningless if it wasn't for the days and runs where we have to exert everything within us.

So sometimes I have force myself to go onto the next mile, until I get to the mile that reminds me why I love running so much. And so, I will simply force myself to work through the hard days until I get to the 1 day that makes me realize how truly great life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment