Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world…

Thursday, August 4, 2011

10 Ways You Know You are a Serious Runner

1. You are  excited about spending all the money you've saved up this summer on a new pair of running shoes. Seriously. Not that I wouldn't like to be buying dressy shoes for student teaching next year, but i'll live with the ones I have. I'd much rather have new running shoes.

2. You start to understand the importance of a good sports bra. The $10 ones are okay for when you are running 3 miles a few times a week, but anything over 4 and you need more support. I now have invested in 2 decent bras. Totally worth the $50.

3. You devour the latest Runner's World Magazine. My dad has now sent back 4 issues with me, and the other ones I browsed through, looking at pictures, and reading a few interesting articles, but this one is getting analyzed in depth. You'll never guess which article I just finished? It was about the benefits of running hills!

4. You understand the benefits of rest days. When I was only running 2 miles a day rest days weren't really needed. Now I can feel myself dragging along if I run 4 days in a row without some cross training or rest.

5. Music matters less and less. I used to have to stop 10 times to switch music. Now I'll be 2 or 3 minutes into a song before I realize I don't really like it. And by then what's the point of taking a break? I still like picking out slower paced songs for longer runs and faster ones for short runs. I have to make sure I don't tire out too easily.

6. The reason you do laundry is because you are out of running clothes. Usually I run out of clean bras or shorts. This was a first. All I had left in my running drawer was long sleeve shirts, leggings, and paper thin bras. It was sad.

7. You have to run to the store just to pick up your favorite recovery food. Out of Bananas and Frozen Yogurt? How am I going to make Peanut Butter Banana Shakes?!?! (This is why I'm not losing any weight.)

8. You limit your drinks at night because "I have to run 6 miles tomorrow." I've used this excuse about 10 times and never have I ever run 6 miles. But I will....in 3 weeks when I start training!

9. You plan out meals based on how far/when your next run is.

10. You start dating your running buddy. Haha....just had to add this one for the pure laughter. I know my running buddy/boyfriend will get out of it. But seriously...who has time for a relationship and running? Why not combine the two? Plus, running is a great way to get to know each other. And if a guy likes you sweaty, in gross running clothes, and with your hair in a pony, then chances are he'll love you all dressed up and cute ;-P

No comments:

Post a Comment