Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world…

Saturday, February 4, 2012

winter running

So I've been running outside a bit recently and really enjoying it. Okay....that's a lie. I've been sort of enjoying it. It's too cold for my liking, but still nice. It takes me awhile to get my body warmed up. The benefit of the cold is that I don't have time for walking. I have to keep moving.

The funny part is that it's not even cold. today it was 33 degrees when I went out. I enjoyed the 2nd mile of my 3 miler. the first I was frozen and the last I was too warm. It's hard to decide what to wear because you want to shed layers, but can't. It's also hard to go and listen to music because my earbuds get stiff. And I can't run alone without music. that would be an awful experience.

I want to get out there more, and it's not too hard when it's sunny out, but when there are patches of ice I get nervous. and when the sky is gray it makes me sad. But I've just been sad in general recently. Life has been tough this year, and I have to say that running has been a very serious portion of my sanity. So I'd like to thank the belly I received freshman year that convinced me to start with the simple 1 milers. And I'd like to thank all the many people who have given me advice and gotten me up to those 3-4 mile average runs, and one wonderful 7.5 miler. I'll get to that half marathon soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment